Translate

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Hungary in the Summer: Flooded Danube, swimming at Lake Balaton, and Budapest's Pride Parade

Today's post comes from Johanna Mellis, a graduate student in Modern European history and a recipient of a Summer FLAS award for Hungarian language.  And did I mention that her dissertation topic is very interesting?  Johanna is looking at the lives of Hungarian athletes during the communist period and their place in a society supposedly governed by communist values.  Here's what Johanna writes for us:

-->
This summer I have had the wonderful opportunity to continue studying Hungarian in the nation’s capitol city, Budapest. Why Hungarian, you ask? As someone with no Hungarian background or family connections, Hungarians are almost always curious about why I chose to study their language. I am learning Hungarian so that I can continue working towards my PhD degree in Modern European history at UF, with a focus on Hungarian history. After initially beginning Hungarian while earning my Master’s, I grew fascinated with the nation, its people, culture, and history. It was only after first living in Budapest that I really grew to love the country and its people. Fortunately for me, the summer is the best time to be in Budapest. The architecture, culture, and the people come alive during the summer. Once the temperature starts rising after the long winter you see people walking everyone, enjoying the city and its weather!        
When I arrived in Budapest at the beginning of June the weather was particularly interesting. The Danube, the river that runs between the two major sides of the city, Buda and Pest, was experiencing the largest flood in several decades. Although the side streets closest to the Danube flooded, the city luckily did not experience much damage. Other cities and villages in Hungary, as well as Prague in the Czech Republic and some places in Germany, endured much worse damage from the flooding. In Budapest both tourist and locals alike flocked to the streets closest to the Danube to witness and take pictures of the flooding. Needless to say, until the floodwaters began to recede a few days after it reached its peak, the flood was quite the spectacle in the city!


During the day I am attending Hungarian language classes at the Debrecen Nyári Egyetem, or the Debrecen Summer School. Even though the school is based in Debrecen, a city in Eastern Hungary, they have a smaller branch in the capitol. When I am not in class, I am oftentimes doing preliminary research for my dissertation on the everyday lives of Hungarian elite athletes in the Communist period. In my free time, I am usually hanging out with a mix of both Hungarian and non-Hungarian friends. From my point of view, it is very important to have local friends, so that you can practice your language skills. In mid-June when my friends suggested that we take a trip to Lake Balaton, I jumped at the chance to see another part of Hungary, and to practice speaking more Hungarian. Lake Balaton, sometimes called the “Hungarian Riviera,” is the closest thing that Hungary has to a beach. In the summer it is the most popular place for Hungarians to go for vacation, if they stay in within the country. It is basically a large lake that is encased by rocks on the shore, and with grass all around it. For Floridians, it may be a little odd because there is no sand at all. Despite not being a beach comparable to any of the ones back home, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. We stayed in Alsóörs, which is one of the first small villages that you can reach by train from Budapest. In an attempt to save money, we stayed in very small camper in an RV park. For the four of us, the camper was extremely cozy. Yet we were surrounded by native Hungarians from all over the country, which is something that would not have been true had we stayed in a hotel. Lake Balaton is also interesting because in the Communist period it was a very popular place for East Germans to vacation. In fact, in 1989 the first people to leave the Eastern bloc en masse were the East Germans from Lake Balaton, to Austria! Even today you can see signs in both Hungarian and German, and sometimes in English. Even though we were in a small town, there were quite a number of Germans that were sitting near us by the lake. In all, it was a fantastic trip. I would recommend that if anyone has the time while in Hungary, that they visit any of the towns along Lake Balaton.
This past week June 30th-July 6th, was a special one in Hungary, as it was Budapest Pride Week. Since I was busy all week with school and research, it was not until Friday that I took part in the festivities. On Friday night I went to a showing of the 2008 film Milk, an American film about Harvey Milk in the 1970s. Harvey Milk was the first openly gay American politician that was elected to office in the United States. Harvey milk’s nephew, Stuart Milk, was at the film showing and he answered questions about his uncle’s life after the movie. He is an LGBT human rights activist who runs the Harvey Milk Foundation. I was very excited to see him, and at the end my friend and I met and chatted with him for a few minutes. The experience was very neat for both of us. Then the next day, Saturday the 6th, my friend and I marched in the Budapest Pride Parade. Although I had never seen or marched in a Pride parade before, I am very glad that I decided to do this one. The first gay parade in Budapest occurred in 1997. In years past however, there have been incidents of protestors who broke through the police barricades and threw eggs and rocks at the marchers. So I was unsure of what to expect when I decided to join. Thankfully, the local police kept a tight lid on the protestors, who did not seem to be very menacing anyways. The parade lasted about 3 km, and it took about two and a half hours. While walking in the parade my friend spotted Stuart Milk, and we decided to reintroduce ourselves to him. Lucky for us, he asked us to join his team in the march. Mr. Milk was very happy to see an American take an interest in the LGBT cause while abroad. After talking with him for awhile, I saw a Hungarian couple and talked to them as well. They were happy to see people from all over the world participating in their Pride event. Needless to say, it was event that was full of joy and celebration. It was an opportunity that I was lucky enough to have been able to participate in.  I just happened to be in the right place, at the right time!
I have about two and a half more weeks left in Hungary. I hope to visit at least one more place in Hungary outside of Budapest. I am also going to see my Hungarian friends as much as possible so that I can practice my language skills until the day I leave. It has been a wonderful trip so far. Budapest is a welcoming city that is full of life and history. I am looking forward to seeing what other adventures I will have between now and my return to the States.





No comments:

Post a Comment