Translate

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Hungry for Turkey?

Welcome back to the CES Eurogator blog!  To say that we have been very busy would be an understatement to say the least.  We have many exciting events planned for the upcoming Spring semester and we have all been working very hard to ensure that everything goes smoothly.  As part of our "Getting to Know Europe" grant from the European Union Delegation, we will be hosting a photography exhibit at the Harn in January.  The exhibit will feature the works of Maria Kapajeva and Tomek Zerek, each of whom address issues of gender and identity in a contemporary European context.  In conjunction with the exhibit, Professor Galina Rylkova and Visiting Lecturer Jack Hutchens will each give gallery talks addressing the issues raised by these provocative works.  More information to follow soon!

We have also started working with Eastside High School students on their part of the "Getting to Know Europe" grant (http://eastside.sbac.edu/pages/EHS0421).  Thanks to the generous support of Professor Paul Ortiz and his staff at the Samuel Proctor Oral History program (http://oral.history.ufl.edu/), these lucky high school students are receiving expert advice from oral history professionals as they conduct interviews with Alachua county residents of European descent.   The histories will be collected in the "Getting to Know You:  Our Neighbors of European Heritage" exhibit at the Thomas Center next May and we hope that many of you come to see and hear these fascinating stories.   As the selections are finalized we hope to give our readers a sneak peak.......so stay tuned for more!  And of course, we have our ongoing Aegean film series that highlights the work of Greek and Turkish filmmakers every week.  Check out the coming attractions and schedule at http://www.ces.ufl.edu/outreach/special_events/movie_nights/index.shtml.

Today's Turkish Tuesday entry comes to us from former UF student Iris Muradoglu (Anthropology 2013), who studied Turkish with Professor Emrah Sahin during her undergrad years.  Like the work of the Eastside students who are collecting oral histories, Iris's entry reminds us of how important it is to appreciate our elders and listen to their stories, share in their wisdom, and take comfort in their memories.  But enough about that - let's see what Iris's grandmother has to say about jobs, food, and husbands!
 
There are usually two paths in life after graduation. The first path, generally, is for those going to graduate school, law school, or getting a job—those that are overall certain about what to do upon graduating. For the rest of us, including myself, we find ourselves with absolutely no idea of what to do. We find ourselves taking one of the wisest pieces of advice—“take a year off, figure out what you like and what you want to do; travel.” Not wanting just yet to commit to graduate school and unable to bear living at home again (sorry mom and dad), I found myself unsure of my future. As the summer was ending, I hastily made the decision to teach English abroad. I enjoyed getting my TESL certificate at the University of Florida and really like teaching. So, I ran with it, all the way to Istanbul, Turkey.

You might be wondering why Istanbul? Besides the obvious of it being one of the most beautiful, culturally rich cities in both Europe and Asia, it is also my second home. I told myself that if I truly wanted to be fluent in Turkish and really experience living there, this was my chance. Otherwise, I would always have this internal struggle. Therefore, here I am in Istanbul living with my 86 year old grandma, trying to find a job. Unfortunately there is a great deal of truth to the saying that “the hardest job is finding a job.”  I wish I could hire someone at this point to go to interviews for me, but on the bright side I have a better idea of where places are as a result of my never-ending search (Istanbul is huge and confusing direction-wise!). I want to be happy and sure about my decision, but my grandma jokes that if I can’t decide on a job how will I ever decide on a husband?
             
Being unemployed I find myself with a lot of free time. And besides getting a daily crash course in Turkish by my grandma, (she doesn’t speak any English) she is also teaching me how to make all kinds of Turkish foods (along with a good cup of Turkish coffee), all essential to being a good future gelin (gelin=bride--it’s a joke). Besides teaching me how to cook, she gives me advice, tells jokes, shares words of wisdom, and tells me stories about her life, about when I was younger, about my dad, and other family members. I think we often take our elders for granted and fail to fully appreciate their time and words, so I find myself in a truly unique position by getting to spend this time with her.
            
 Istanbul is unlike any city I’ve traveled to. It is very modern, yet at the same time traditional; modern, in the sense that it is a lot like what we think of as a typical European or American city and traditional in the aspect of religion, etiquette, and the ever flowing cups of tea and coffee. Unfortunately I think that oftentimes people have misconceptions about Turkey. This is only my opinion based on what I’ve been asked about Turkey and what I’ve heard people say. For example, I’ve been asked what kind of housing do I live in.   Well, Istanbul is just like any other big city, full of apartment buildings. What do they wear in Turkey? Well, they wear the same things anybody in the U.S. would wear. Oh, and I’ve been in Italy for an extended period of time, and in my opinion the people here, at least what I’ve seen in Istanbul, dress way more fashionable than anyone I ever saw in Italy. So yes, the shopping here is awesome. 

Another great thing about living here is that you really get immersed in the language. One of the most frustrating experiences is when you really want to learn a language and all anyone will ever do is speak your native language to you. Here, most people at shops, restaurants, etc. only speak Turkish so practicing is convenient. All you have to do is try to speak Turkish and they love it, and if you can bargain in Turkish even better for you. In fact, multiple people have told me that Turks think it is ‘cute’ when Americans speak Turkish.  But it is nice to know that my efforts, and those of other Americans, are appreciated, particularly when we feel foolish in the attempt. 
             
There are many things to see in Istanbul, many places to go, and more importantly many things to eat. While my cousin was here visiting with a friend I got to enjoy going around to see some of the main tourist attractions. Besides making sure my cousin’s friend saw the must-sees in Istanbul, we made sure that she ate as much Turkish food as possible (naming them all will make me hungry.) We did quintessential Turkish things such as riding in a dolmuş (basically a van with a rocket engine), having tea, olives, fresh bread, and cheese for breakfast, drinking tea on the ferry, and having simit as an on-the-go snack.

There really is an endless amount to see, do, and eat in Istanbul and thus far I have been quite busy with all that the city has to offer.  I feel like I have made a smooth transition in this big move. The things I miss the most are my family and friends. But, it helps to have close family like my aunt and grandma here so I don’t feel too homesick. And thank goodness for technology to help me keep up my addiction to Breaking Bad, oh and of course, to communicate with those back home. Now, let’s just all hope I find a job soon.





No comments:

Post a Comment